Thursday 5 January 2012

Review: The Hunger Games (Book)

Okay. I don't know about any of you, but one of my favourite things in the world is when I manage to find a book that I practically become addicted to and refuse to put down until I finish it.

For Christmas, one of my presents was 'The Hunger Games' trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and I have to say that these books are what I have been waiting for - and more.  I was completely captivated from start to finish and I will definitely not forget these for a long time.

To give you a general overview (with as few spoilers as possible), 'The Hunger Games' is set in the post-apocalyptic future in the country of Panem separated into 12 districts. As a punishment for a rebellion that occurred many years before the story takes place, each year one male and one female from each district between the ages of 12 and 18 are forced to compete in a nationally televised event called 'The Hunger Games' in which all 24 contestants must fight each other until death, as well as managing to survive and avoid any extra obstacles that the "Gamemakers" might throw at them in a huge arena that has been specially designed. There can only be one winner out of all 24 contestants and this story follows Katniss Everdeen, a girl from district 12 who has to compete in the games for her district.

There are many more things I could tell you about the storyline... but I really want you to read these books for yourself.

I felt completely tense and on the edge of my seat throughout these books and right now, I can't fault them. Collins wrote Katniss Everdeen's character in such a way that I felt for her throughout the whole thing. I almost shouted into the book a number of times because I was getting frustrated, sad, excited or angry about things that were happening, and in my opinion, any book that can make you feel something is a book worth reading.

When I was 13 or 14 I read Twilight (I know, I know what you're thinking). At the time, I was in awe of the books and completely drawn into them. To this date - I don't regret my like for those books because they were part of growing up for me, but little did I realise what a good read was.

The Hunger Games is a good read. buy it. read it. enjoy it.

P.s. sorry for my lack of blogging... I was enjoying Christmas... y'know.

Until we blog again,
x

No comments:

Post a Comment