Monday 12 December 2011

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Review

*PROBABLY SOME SPOILERS*     STAR RATING: ***

OK so it's fair to say this film has a huge fan base, and this film saw the beginning of the end to the four-part book series that continues to win over teen-aged girls all over the world, whilst causing serious debates elsewhere.

I think that any film that brings groups of people together with a common interest is fantastic and though I am more of a Potter fan myself, I have never particularly disliked Twilight or been against it in any way.

I should probably start off my actual review by saying that, for me, 'Breaking Dawn Part 1' was almost a completely different movie from the previous three. It starred the usual Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner and all of the other members of the blood-sucking gang.


At this point in the saga, we now see Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) completely committed and getting married, which is a big step for the couple who have spent the last three books/films debating whether they should actually be together and making soppy love confessions.

When I read BD, I found it quite disturbing and to be honest, parts were such a let down! (but I'll get to that when part 2 comes out). For me, most of the drama and excitement happens in the first half of the book, which I suppose is why I was not completely disappointed by the movie.

BD begins with the wedding of the infamous couple. At this point, they seem pretty comfortable and settled, which is nice to see for once! Alice (Ashley Greene) makes her usual, loosely-funny comments at the start of the movie and then we get some mushy Bella-Edward moments.

The scene they are first in together was, funnily enough, the scene I had the biggest problem with... and no, I'm not talking about how 'it wasn't like that in the book' (even though it wasn't)... I'm talking about Edward sudden-out-of-no-where confession of killing people. This is of course, relevant to his character, but the way it was worded and worked into the film made it seem awkward and very put-together...


It kind of went *Bella and Edward going to get married.... Everything is very mushy... awwww he's come to see her the night before...*
Then I think he asks her if she has cold feet (or something like that)
And then he just says something like "well I have cold feet because you don't know my dark side" (what- that you're a vampire?!)
Then he continues on a very quick and unnecessary rant about how he killed some murderers about 8 years ago and feel very bad about it. In my opinion this should have just been left out completely! The film would have been fine without it anyway...

I guess another thing I felt was wrong with this film was 'the scene where the wolves get really angry' (as I have now named it) which is basically where the wolves find out about Bella's baby-mutant-vampire-spawn-thing and kind of want to kill it....

In the book, this scene is a great moment where Jacob (Taylor Lautner) rises up to the great alpha-wolf that he is in order to protect Bella from harm. This scene is supposed to give Jacob just an important role and to me, the whole thing was a blur or cartoon wolves, with commentary and was over in about 2 minutes. This film definitely didn't give Jacob's character the spotlight he deserved.

Okay... so now something I loved.

I don't know how they did it, but Bella in her sickness/pregnancy was unbelievably realistic! Stewart is pretty skinny anyway, but effects on her made her look anorexic and extremely grey in colour. It was fantastic! Plus I really think she stepped up her acting skills in this movie... there was no more of this muttering words I couldn't understand or the stammering - OH GOD THE STAMMERING!

Well, I definitely think this in an excellent way to end a blog post. I could probably go on further an analyse each scene for you... but I won't (don't worry..).

I will just end this by telling you to go an see this movie. It is not great.... it's no Oscar winner... but you will enjoy it because its a guilty pleasure. The story line is crazy and cringey and it's awesome.

That is all.

Until we blog again,
x

No comments:

Post a Comment